24 December, 2008

Finally

Hey Team!,

It's been very difficult to find time to check my e-mail, let alone think about composing a blog post. But here I am, in the ancient city of Tzfat in the north of Israel. I just left the other 39 people on my Livnot Birthright trip to let you know how amazing its been to connect/re-connect to Judaism and Israel. As I type, the rest of the group is dressed in costume, celebrating Purim. I'm wearing my hiking boots, tight, black long underwear, and eye-liner whiskers for I am Mr. Mistofolis! I know I know, it isn't actually Purim, but our imaginative trip leaders thought this a good time to simulate the holiday as a way to bring the group closer together, while educating us about the true meaning of the holiday.

The goal of this trip, seemingly, is to provoke our 21-26 year old selves to think about the way Judaism and spirituality fit into our lives, while simultaneously building a really intimate, comfortable, and loving community amongst ourselves. And for the last 10 days (4 more to go), that's pretty much what has been going on.

To get a feel for the things I've been doing, click here.

I spent today playing with a dozen Ethiopian Jewish immigrants at an absorption center (mainly blowing up balloons, letting them play with my camera, and carrying them on my shoulders), exploring the art galleries and schwarma restaurants of Tzvat (I ate meat...SO GOOD!), and napping in the cave that I'll call home for the next 4 days on the Livnot campus (pictures pending).

I miss you, and my Detroit routine, but more so, I feel so lucky to be unhinged for the next four-months. I'm adapting to life out of a back-pack, and am very excited for the next leg of my journey (I head to Ukraine on Sunday to see the indomitable JB).

I'll check back soon.

All My Love.

Send me updates about what's going on with you!

Shalom,

Z

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looking forward to more blog entries and photos.
I think I could become a muzachary blog groupie

4:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i'll be in the British Virgin Islands in under 24 hours. boo-ya!!
glad you're enjoying israel as much as i did, and are safe.
much love

6:32 PM  
Blogger LB said...

Z,

So happy to hear that you are happy and loving everything and everyone! Can't wait to see pics and hear more. Send my love to JB.
Miss you.

Love,
Lindsey

7:49 AM  
Blogger Rachmayl Hershel Binyamin ben Shlomo said...

Thanks for posting, Zak! Tzfat is supposed to be a great city, with lots of artisans. Also, it is one of the more mystical cities in Israel, hope to some of the great kabbalists in history. Enjoy your travels!

-Brett

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Travel log has such meaning when accompanied by your glorious enthusiasm and itinerary. It's exciting to be on the bus with you in this way.Memorize every moment with your friends and stay focused in the present so that you will carry forward what you experienced here forever. Love from MOMbai and Les.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your post and the link to the whole Birthright experience. Amazing!

I am definitely a jealous uncle; what wonderful experiences you have had - with many more to come.

Thanks for taking the time to write!

Uncle R

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear of your amazing travels. I'm glad that you are taking it all in. We are fortunate and proud to be Jewish. I am proud to be your father.
I miss you, but am comforted in knowing that you are happy and doing what is important to you.
Keep those cards and letter coming...

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home